Photo

Does Immunet Work With Windows Defender?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Partha

Partha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

Is it compatible or will it cause any issues?

• LeroyAledy, Hectorcof and Robertacarl like this

#2 tcfxfzoi

tcfxfzoi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

It works fine in my windows10 vm. B)

#3 iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET

Advanced Member

• Immunet Insiders
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:54 PM

It works perfectly. My recommendation is to leave Windows Defender active and then add Immunet as they seem to partner very well. Windows Defender will handle off-line malware detection, so you do not need to enable the ClamAV option within Immunet.  

• Partha likes this

#4 ritchie58

ritchie58

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1,824 posts
  • LocationOil City, Pa. U.S.A.

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

If you want to use Immunet as a companion AV to another product, if it's Defender or some other AV solution, don't forget to add an exclusion/exception rule for Immunet's Program Files folder to the other AV. Also add an exclusion rule for Defender's Program Files folder for Immunet. By doing this you can avoid potential future conflicts because the programs will recognize each other as safe applications.

• iTrendsNET and Partha like this

* Immunet Global Forum Moderator *

#5 Partha

Partha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

It works fine in my windows10 vm. B)

Okay. Thanks.

#6 Partha

Partha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

It works perfectly. My recommendation is to leave Windows Defender active and then add Immunet as they seem to partner very well. Windows Defender will handle off-line malware detection, so you do not need to enable the ClamAV option within Immunet.  

That makes sense. Thank you.

#7 Partha

Partha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

If you want to use Immunet as a companion AV to another product, if it's Defender or some other AV solution, don't forget to add an exclusion/exception rule for Immunet's Program Files folder to the other AV. Also add an exclusion rule for Defender's Program Files folder for Immunet. By doing this you can avoid potential future conflicts because the programs will recognize each other as safe applications.

I did just that but there's a question I want to ask.

Normally after the installation of a third-party antivirus software, Windows Defender turns off automatically, but after I installed Immunet, Windows Defender is still enabled.

Is that a normal behavior?

#8 Partha

Partha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

I have added Immunet's Program Files folder to the excluded list of Windows Defender and vice versa, but I didn't understand the part about the exception rule that you referred to.

#9 iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET

Advanced Member

• Immunet Insiders
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

I did just that but there's a question I want to ask.

Normally after the installation of a third-party antivirus software, Windows Defender turns off automatically, but after I installed Immunet, Windows Defender is still enabled.

Is that a normal behavior?

In this particular case, yes, that is normal behavior. The result is a light and thorough combination that I think you will enjoy. 

#10 iTrendsNET

iTrendsNET

Advanced Member

• Immunet Insiders
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

I have added Immunet's Program Files folder to the excluded list of Windows Defender and vice versa, but I didn't understand the part about the exception rule that you referred to.

I believe you have followed the instructions correctly as you just needed to make sure that each was not scanning the other's folder. 

#11 Partha

Partha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:10 PM

I believe you have followed the instructions correctly as you just needed to make sure that each was not scanning the other's folder. 

Like I said, I've already added the appropriate Programs Files folders to the relevant exclusions as advised, so that neither of the antivirus software scans the other's files

I just want to know about the exception rule that ritchie58 was talking about in his post. Is it a firewall rule?

Edited by Partha, 29 December 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#12 ritchie58

ritchie58

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 1,824 posts
  • LocationOil City, Pa. U.S.A.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

The exception rule I mentioned was for Defender & Immunet only. Actually though, when first installing Immunet your firewall may ask you to create allow rules for Immunet's processes which is sfc.exe & iptray.exe.

Defender is different for Windows10. It will not automatically disable as previous versions did when a third-party AV is installed. Some folks that decided not to use Defender have reported having difficulty manually disabling it with Win 10. 

Cheers, Ritchie...

* Immunet Global Forum Moderator *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users