WacoJohn

This Does Not Look Right To Me

Hi WacoJohn,

24/7

Of course, it is up to you, if you always have your computers on! (You need them all on to have your hardwares & Operative Systems tested in all situations & you need to learn them all!) I said, that I only use my computer a few hours per day. This is not always correct, because during many nights when I sleep, I have my computer on for malware/virus scanning connected to Internet!

My Community

If "My Community" acts as a supplement to the "Immunet Cloud", it should be kept, of course! I agree, that the My Community facet is really attractive & is favorable for product marketing (FREE, PLUS & ENTERPRISE versions). It is full (a long list) with bugs that should one day be ironed out. How will Immunet look like without My Community? With lost power of attraction future of Immunet will be uncertain!

Cheers,

sweidre

Hi WacoJohn,

24/7

(You need them all on to have your hardwares & Operative Systems tested in all situations & you need to learn them all!)

Cheers,

sweidre

At first, I used to shut down and only power up the machine I intended to use. Then MagicJack called fo 24/7 .. so that put one of 'em on 24/7. Then I got involved with FOLDING .. which (for maximum effect) put them ALL on 24/7. Like I said, I use the XP machine the most but when I have time, I jump over to the Tosh 64-bit with W7 Professional. It has a LOT on/in it I have not 'learned' .. face recognition, Speech capability, and other features I still don't know well. I got tired of powering it up everytime I had time to investigate it. So with Folding on it in particular, I run it 24/7. Same goes for the Linux box. Overall, .. for me, easier to leave 'em all runnin'.

One thing that has me concerned ... laptop battery care. From all the research I have done, it is best to run on battery until (almost) depleted, then connect charger .. charge it back up, and then take it off charge .. back to battery. This is even better than taking the battery out of the machine entirely .. and running on AC full time. Seems that lithium-ion batteries degrade ON THE SHELF.

The problem I have with that is the FREQUENT connect/disconnect of the AC adapter ... I am seriously concerned about wearing out the connector and when you have 3 laptops running 24/7 .. that is a LOT of time connecting and reconnecting. Soooo, I have 'em all running on AC w/ no battery installed .. even though I am advised otherwise. With the ONLY way to properly maintain them being connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect .. that is just not practical for me .. and those batteries are expensive. I hope 'shelving' them is at least better than overcharging them.

One thing that has me concerned ... laptop battery care. From all the research I have done, it is best to run on battery until (almost) depleted, then connect charger .. charge it back up, and then take it off charge .. back to battery. This is even better than taking the battery out of the machine entirely .. and running on AC full time. Seems that lithium-ion batteries degrade ON THE SHELF.

Puh WacoJohn,

I am glad, that I have only one desktop computer! I do not have to consider battery life & frequent charging!

Cheers,

sweidre

Here is an article you might find interesting WacoJohn. It's about the use of a UPS (Uninterpretable Power Supply) backup when using a laptop on AC without the battery in place should there be a power outage. Something you might want to look into. P.S. - How is the learning curve going? A lot of differences between Win 7 and XP isn't there.That was my experience too. Going from XP to 7 with the chance to play around a little bit with Vista on other peoples machines which helped a little.

Here is an article you might find interesting WacoJohn. It's about the use of a UPS (Uninterpretable Power Supply) backup when using a laptop on AC without the battery in place should there be a power outage. Something you might want to look into. P.S. - How is the learning curve going? A lot of differences between Win 7 and XP isn't there.That was my experience too. Going from XP to 7 with the chance to play around a little bit with Vista on other peoples machines which helped a little.

I will completely agree that a UPS is a great idea especially in my situation where I am running 4 machines 24/7 .. 3 being laptops with the batteries removed. I never considered it because I assumed UPSses would be too pricey .. if I need 4 of them. That article enticed me to look into this .. they are not as expensive as I assumed.

Learning curve? Hmmm, well, I have certainly learned a lot since venturing away from XP. I am pretty impressed with W7 .. both the 32-bit and the 64-bit. Both are fast, manage resources better, and the XP features within them are more advanced. Disk Cleanup, for example, cleans up a lot more than XP's. Then there are the features that do not exist with XP, such as disk imaging etc. A lot of things will not run on IE9-64 such as Roboform and Evernote Clipper and a few other things that don't come to mind this morning, but IE9-32 is the default on W7-64 (actually, W7 comes with IE8 to start with). MS says 'anything that runs W7 will be able to run W8', so it really was time to move off of XP.

I also think anyone who wants to 'know their stuff' should devote ANY old machine to Linux (many good distros .. UBUNTU is a good starter choice). Wade right into it .. it is a very rewarding experience. An old machine .. a free OS, free Aps ... makes for something you can pound away on and not worry about really losing anything. The more you 'screw it up' and 'start over', ... the more you learn. By 'know their stuff', I don't mean to imply I am any 'Nixhead ... I spend more time in Linux forums looking for solutions and answers than I do actually using the box for anything in particular (except folding). But it is a lot of fun (unless you have a wife or girlfriend) and it beats throwing darts or whatever. It AMAZES me what you get out of Linux .... for free ... totally FREE.

With UPS's you get what you pay for. There are cheap models that will run on battery power for 15 or 20 minutes but that gives you plenty of time to log off and shut down instead of suffering a power outage induced crash which is neither good for your stored data or your hardware. More expensive models can run for hours or even days on battery backup and provide better surge protection. The expensive models will usually accommodate more peripherals (can handle a higher wattage load) so you can backup your printer, fax, copier, Bluetooth devices or what ever is crucial. It depends what your needs are. Most UPS's also come with software you can install that will automatically power down your computer in the event of a power interruption. A good feature if you leave your computers unattended which I'm sure you do at times since you run them 24/7. Ya gotta sleep and eat some time, lol! Duncan likes to extol the virtues of Linux as well WacoJohn. Maybe some day I'll give it a whirl. We've kind of gone off topic regarding the original posted thread you made haven't we. Oh well!