duncan

The Kuta

Bambo - Thanks for your comments and I do understand what you are saying. In my case, Comodo firewall is always correctly registered with Windows and Windows always just indicates both firewalls are running if I click the option to take a look.

I've researched this enough to believe that there are no major issues if we leave things as they are - with Comodo or Norton (or probably many others) not completely disabling Windows firewall upon installation. If we do not like it, we can always manually turn off the Windows firewall, but per my previous post, I no longer fully disable all Windows firewall services that I see running in Services.

duncan - Yes, that always seems to do the trick! If I have a problem running a program, my first trouble shooting step is to first switch Comodo to "learning mode" and that usually helps me find out what Comodo might be blocking and I then add the appropriate permissions.

I don't entirely agree with Alfred. The Windows 7 firewall is indeed superior to XP's and have used it, along with Windows 7 Firewall Control, for several months since upgrading my OS. However the main turnoff for me is the lack of transparency with the 7 firewall. You don't know what it's doing unless it actually blocks something it deems potentially malicious and then you get a popup. That's all fine and dandy for a novice user or someone that hates to be informed of firewall activity. I did try the free version of Windows 7 Firewall Control software (didn't have the cash to upgrade) and it does provide you with detailed info about the FW activity plus easier outbound rule creation but there were some shortcomings with that program (the free version anyway and of course the free version has some much needed features disabled). By default the program creates a rule for all Windows applications to be enabled but read only and you can't change that option (free version). That rendered some Windows applications that require both read and write capability nonfunctional. Also with the 7 Firewall Control program It will kill a process instead of suspending it until a decision is made which can make installing new software or running software diagnostics that require an internet connection problematic at best sometimes. So the bottom line is I installed Comodo Firewall 5.0 64 bit. With the numerous settings, tweaks and transparency of Comodo it is just the better option for me. Another plus is Comodo uses less system resources than running the 7 firewall and firewall control software together. I'm sure there will be some Windows 7 Firewall fans that will think I'm nuts for opting to go with a third party application. This set up just works better for me. Nuff said.

Well comodo firewall seems tighter than ever now with the new upgrades on the 29th of December.

Version 5.3 updates were abut 50 - 70 meg so must have made a few changes.

I am still using comodo as my only firewall and it has settled right in but still lets me know if something new or something suss is happening.

Also microsofts recent update of MSE to version 2 seems to be stable as.

Windows XP - sp3

AMD Sempron 2600+

1.5 gig ram

128mb video card

3G internet connection

Opera 11.01

The majority of the updated Comodo files had to do with improving the cloud anti-virus portion of the security suite which I don't use. Only the firewall. However they added some cool new UI themes in the preferences section.

And as a bonus the updates stopped me from logging into kaneva again. After a couple of hours switching on and off firewalls, mse, immunet etc..I could not get it to work and then I stumbled across a simple but confusing solution. Kaneva wont login with windows or comodo firewalls on or off in default modes however if I switch comodos configuration from proactive to firewall it logs in no problem. Then I just click back to proactive after I'm finished in kaneva. Still a strange solution... given it wont login with no firewalls... recomendations from kaneva are: switch firewall off or re-install their client...

I am only using the firewall but with proactive mode additions.

I found that comodo system cleaner messed my system up a couple of times..

their cloud-scanner is way to quick to be doing an effective malware scan. (bit like glary utilities malware scanner)

And I'm sticking with MSE and Imunet for real time protection (albeit with comodo firewall in proactive mode).

By the way, you may be able to answer this:

I thought I would have a look at clamav-3, after downloading and installing I noticed it was downloading at full speed all the way through a scan, I tried twice in case it was downloading definition updates or something but it kept downloading. So i uninstalled it and cleaned out all the registry entries etc. I hate it when I dont know what is downloading to my pc, and it costs me money here to waste say a couple of hundred megabytes. Any idea what it was doing?

Windows XP - sp3

AMD Sempron 2600+

1.5 gig ram

128mb video card

3G internet connection

Opera 11.01