ray23

This Is Very Bad

I came across this thread while trying to solve my uninstall problem and just had to respond.

I installed Immunet to see if it could find anything on my system that may be slowing it down. It reported what it said were some problems, quarantined them but there was no change in my system performance. I've used other virus and malware software that found problems that were really non-problems so I decided to uninstall the software and move on, oh how sadly I was mistaken...

I uninstalled the software and now I can't boot my computer!!!!

Initially there was a message about a corrupted hive. When I rebooted I got a Windows repair screen and then a message that said "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

Trying to reset to a previously known state also fails.

Right now I have a completely non functioning computer and I can not get any work done until I somehow figure out how to get this computer to boot.

To say I'm unhappy doesn't even begin to describe my state of mind.

I also had this issue when uninstalling immunet from my Win XP sp2 laptop using windows uninstaller.

1. c:\windows\system32\config\service was corrupted during the uninstall and on boot machine came to the BLUE Screen of Death :(

2. my user profile was also corrupted.

It was a pain to fix this problem, however here's what I did to get my laptop close to where it was before Immunet was installed on my machine.

1: Boot into recovery console.

2: follow instructions in this Microsoft support page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

3: reboot machine

# If your user account was corrupted follow the instructions in this Microsoft support page.

# If you want your user directory profile in C:\Documents and Settings be the same as your login username follow this instruction and omit the create user instructions in the Microsoft support instructions.

1: Login as administrator

2: rename C:\Documents and Settings\username to something else

3: go to users/groups in computer management and rename the user account to what you just renamed the users directory to.

4: create a new account with the username your old account was named.

5: logout as administrator and login as the new user you just created.

6: logout of the new account and back into the administrator account, the system should have created a new directory in C:\Documents and Settings

that is the same name as the new user you created.

7: Follow the instruction on copying files from your old user directory to your new user directory outlined in this Microsoft support page.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

This is the steps I used to fix my laptop and hope this helps anyone that ran into the same issue.

I'm not writer, so if anybody wants to clean my instruction up so a novice user can understand them, please do.

• Like 1

I'm dealing with Explorer crashes since upgrading from 2.0.19 to 3.0.0. The problem is different, but based on your description the timing is the same.

I would like to offer my view (opinion) about Immunet's role/responsiblity, which differs from yours and rayray23 and offer suggestions/options that could contribute toward recovery.

So you think it's a virus! Really? The reason I installed Immunet was to protect myself from virus'.

When I wasn't convinced Immunet was doing anything to protect me from virus' I decided to uninstalled it. My system was working fine immediately before and during the uninstall process but refused to boot after the Immunet uninstall restart. The cause and affect is pretty obvious to me. Somewhere in the uninstall process Immunet touches the registry in an unintended way. I'm not accusing you of any nefarious deed here, I'm just trying to point out that somewhere in your uninstall process you have a problem, a very big problem.

System corruptions are part of life with windows. Registry semantics are not monitored or enforced in real-time. At best an alert will be displayed when a change is about to be made. There are independent utilities that scan for and correct errors after the fact.

It is tempting to blame the most recent program that changed the registry/system. It is the logical place to start looking for the cause. In my experience, it's not wise to make assumptions and/or draw conclusions without supporting data/info.

Installing 3.0.0 appears to have precipitated my Explorer crashes. While investigating some small related problems were found that were around long before. There are apparent problems Immunet's interface the cause will not be determined until the point(s) of failure is(are) known.

Today all platforms are complex. More so then mainframes back in the olden days, They had staff, as in teams of people, dedicated to their care and feeding. IMO Window's greatest weaknesses are the registry and sub-system inter-dependence.

Applications have to make reasonable assumptions about the installation environment. Alternatively, IMO, software should handle irrational inputs rationally.

The fact that you haven't received these kinds of bugs does not mean they don't exist. No bug is expected, that's why it's a bug.

I'm offering this information for you to act on so you can investigate what is wrong with your uninstall process NOT to fix my problem. I'll fix my own problem without your help.Taking the position that you haven't seen this problem before, therefore, it can not possibly be Immunet's fault is a very arrogant position to take.

Collaboration could be a middle ground and beneficial to Immunet and the community beyond users with boundary use cases. Immunet should have sufficient domain knowledge and experience to guide users. Information gain could identify small changes which prevent big problems.

For the record, as I said earlier the symptom of the reboot is:

Whenever I reboot, whether from a soft or hard reset I get the same error "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically". It doesn't matter if you try a regular boot, "safe mode" or "safe mode with internet", and it won't reboot from a previously saved start point.

Using a Live CD has been suggested. There are Linux CDs with Windows diagnostic tools and utilities. BartPE CD is a windows based alternative. You cannot know what's wrong unless your system disk mounted.

Big problems can have relatively painless solutions. Corruption of registry security descriptors are a frequent cause system boot problems. There are numerous tools for making such a repair.

If any security scanners have been previously uninstalled, even if it was recently, drivers may have been left. I've seen that myself more than once.

I can understand why you're upset. Windows admin takes far too much of my time. I have a huge investment in my systems and a growing investment in a large collection of diagnostic/anal-retentive maintenance tools.

Security concerns are expanding explosively. Systems Administration issues should be addressed at an industry level. Defining standard practices and reshaping the focus projects/companies would provide a basis for lessening/sharing the burden.

• Like 1

OK I'll report this problem, but I do not think that this is a bug or anything from our software, I think the problem arrive from another way and also the best antivirus (which it doesn't exist) can't do a detection as 100%

Orlando

Believe me, you have a bug and need to pull at least version 3.0 off the shelf until you have it fixed. For the novice users it's beyond a disaster with a total O/S reinstall. For much more advanced users it's a real pain in the ass, but most of it can be fixed with only loosing a mass amount of settings. The loss depends on how much software is installed on the machine. My laptop had 90 - 100 gig of software loaded. The full extent of the damage won't be realized for some time. I have a second laptop with Immunet loaded, but have decided an uninstall would be a disaster waiting to happen. I have been using computers since 1984 and have been hit with pretty bad viruses and the damage Immunet has done to my machines has equaled the worst virus that I've been hit with.

• Like 1