A Free Ram Optimization Tool That Really Works

ritchie58

Complete details on this freeware can be found here: CleanMem. My roomy has an older PC. The motherboard uses old DDR memory modules which he has 1GB of 1066FSB 400Mhz memory. We both use Firefox which is a memory hog. Leaking memory to the page file like there's no tomorrow. So it's really helped him with that. I have it installed on my machine and noticed an improvement as to how the RAM memory is managed as well.

I did some research on the web prior to installing and trying the app. The vast majority of reviews I could find had positive comments regarding the program and it's easy enough to look for yourself. Since installation I have noticed an on average 30 Mb DECREASE in RAM usage while using Firefox. I am using a separate RAM monitoring tool during testing and I have to say I'm impressed! No discernible slowdown in any system processes encountered so far except for a slight increase in shutdown time. I like the fact that the program uses the Task Scheduler. Subsequently it doesn't need to be a start up process so there's no hit to your boot up time (unless you use the option to use the Mini Monitoring Tool and/or want the system tray icon at start up). I have it configured to run every 5 minuets instead of the default 30 minuets. Of course the best solution is just buy more memory but for those of us who can't, at this time, this app is a good stopgap. It's not going to make an old clunker turn into a blazing fast monster but what it does it seems to do very well.

• 2 months later...

There is a new version of CleanMem available for download. You can download version 2.0.1 from CNET. What's new in this version: Version 2.0.1 added minimize button to the settings windows and fixed rare crashes on some systems when trying to exit the mini monitor or open its menu. Changed the default cleaning setting from 30 minuets to 15 minutes.There is also a pro (paid) version available. It's still free however and you will not get any pop-ups or a nag screen to upgrade.

New Pro features:

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Advanced Monitor Rules: (The user can set these rules for any process they like (Not on protected processes of course)).

Clean the memory on a specific process when it hits a user set memory level. (Example: Firefox hits 150MB) The mini monitor cleans the memory instead of calling CleanMem. One less program to run :-)

Kill a program if it hits a certain amount of memory.

Auto set process priority on a process.

Auto clean the system file cache when it reaches a set size.

Set how often the advanced monitor rules will run.

Auto run CleanMem when system hits a user specified % of memory used.

Great details on running processes.

Allow users to choose a picture (jpg, bmp, gif) for the mini monitor bar.

Allow user to choose what text shows on the mini monitor Example: Total memory, used memory, free memory, page file commit, file cache size, system uptime and more.

Show current file cache info.

Show extended memory usage stats.

Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for your advice! I have installed CleanMem v.2.0.1 and paid for the Pro version, cuz it seems to be full with useful options to a minor price! Now I have to experiment a lot to get to the final setup rules!

Cheers,

sweidre

With this new version installed you get a free 7 day trial of the pro version. Sweidre I noticed a lot more options with the pro version. The Mini Monitor has been improved with a more polished look as well. This little unobtrusive app is excellent at reining in programs that use up a lot of memory such as 3D games. I use it primarily because I use Firefox as my browser which is notorious for being a memory hog.

Hi Ritchie,

I have tested many different RAM optimizers, but never I have had anyone, that optimizes the RAM memory so efficiently as CleanMem Pro 2.01. And still I have not defined all Advanced Monitor Rules yet!

Cheers,

sweidre

Sweidre,with a lot of help from Shane, the developer of CleanMem, I was able to get Service Pack 1 "FINALLY" installed! We spent hours working on my machine! What I believe happened was I didn't get a good download From the Microsoft servers for SP 1 the first time around because of server overload. During the initial installation some components of SP 1 did not install correctly and thus corrupted some files and/or some files were missing. Shane and I used a peer to peer service to run some diagnostics and Windows repair tools, of his own design, on my PC which by the way are available on his web site. After that no problem installing SP 1 and Task Scheduler is working perfectly now. I was very impressed by Shane's enthusiasm to help me! There really are still some good guys out there willing to lend a hand when needed!

Sweidre,with a lot of help from Shane, the developer of CleanMem, I was able to get Service Pack 1 "FINALLY" installed! We spent hours working on my machine! What I believe happened was I didn't get a good download From the Microsoft servers for SP 1 the first time around because of server overload. During the initial installation some components of SP 1 did not install correctly and thus corrupted some files and/or some files were missing. Shane and I used a peer to peer service to run some diagnostics and Windows repair tools, of his own design, on my PC which by the way are available on his web site. After that no problem installing SP 1 and Task Scheduler is working perfectly now. I was very impressed by Shane's enthusiasm to help me! There really are still some good guys out there willing to lend a hand when needed!

Hi Ritchie,

I am really happy, that Shane succeeded in fixing your OS + SP1! I noticed, that Shane was really a PRO! His homepage showed that he has many repair tools! Try to remain a close friend of his forever!

Cheers,

sweidre

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new version out. Here is what's new for version 2.0.2:

Added "Reset Window Positions" option to context menu.

Multiple GUI tweaks and fixes.

Fixed minor bug where the mini monitor wouldn't hold its startup position in some cases.

Program now remembers the screen position of the settings windows and others. The reset mini monitor position will also reset these windows as well.

Window positions are now saved under the Current User Reg keys. This has multiple benefits. If a person runs the mini monitor from a thumb drive and on multiple computers, the position will be saved on each computer instead of the ini file. This also lets different users on the same system have the monitor in different positions than the other users.

Fixed bug where the Page File information on the Memory Info Window didn't detect on Windows 7.

Page file info on the memory info window has been updated to pull better information. Such as actual current usage of the page file on the disk.

Fixed bug where the mini monitor didn't always exit & close.

There is a new version out. Here is what's new for version 2.0.2:

Added "Reset Window Positions" option to context menu.

Multiple GUI tweaks and fixes.

Fixed minor bug where the mini monitor wouldn't hold its startup position in some cases.

Program now remembers the screen position of the settings windows and others. The reset mini monitor position will also reset these windows as well.

Window positions are now saved under the Current User Reg keys. This has multiple benefits. If a person runs the mini monitor from a thumb drive and on multiple computers, the position will be saved on each computer instead of the ini file. This also lets different users on the same system have the monitor in different positions than the other users.

Fixed bug where the Page File information on the Memory Info Window didn't detect on Windows 7.

Page file info on the memory info window has been updated to pull better information. Such as actual current usage of the page file on the disk.

Fixed bug where the mini monitor didn't always exit & close.

Hi Ritchie,

I am really satisfied with my existing CleanMem releasing a lot of RAM, but thanks for your info about a new release! I have not tested all options of my existing version yet. OK, I have just made a backup (ghost) of my system drive, so I will try the new version some day later on, not today! I have not yet noticed any annoying bugs of my current version. I doubt, that CleanMem can monitor my PageFile info, because I have a minor pagefile (16 MB) on my C-drive (systemdrive) just for booting purposes. I have the major pagefile on my D-drive 6.3 GB.

Thanks & Cheers,

sweidre

PS. I have just now downloaded & installed v.2.0.2 right over the previous version without any problems! All my previous settings were kept. Fine! Regarding pagefiles on C- & D-drives, they were nicely presented separately. (Total & Used values). DS.

• 2 weeks later...

Shane has come out with a new version. Here is what's new for version 2.1.0:

Changelog:

(All changes in this version are for both Free & Pro versions.)

Moved system up time from the bottom of the window to the top menu.

There a user can now decide how the program will pull the system up

time. Default is GetTickCount API (49 Days Max) the other is by the

Windows Performance Counters (No Max). The reason for the 2 options is

for users who have disabled their performance counters and do not wish

to turn them back on.

GetTickCount counts since system boot and includes suspends/hibernation

time as well, but has the limit of going up to 49 days.

The performance counter only counts as windows is running and doesn't

during suspends/hibernation, but doesn't have the 49 day limit.

Added new option to disable the bar fill graphic. This is for the users

who want the monitor to be just pure text. Such as when using blending

mode into the desktop.

Added new compact mode for the mini monitor. This will hide the text and

the make the bar 50% smaller. Making a very nice small monitor that

stays out of the way.

Add some pre made compact bar graphics to the setup.

Added new mini monitor start with windows options. You can now set the

mini monitor to run at system startup for the current user or all users.

Shane has come out with a new version. Here is what's new for version 2.1.0:

Changelog:

(All changes in this version are for both Free & Pro versions.)

Hi Ritchie,

I have today upgraded to v.2.1.0, but I kept the same settings as before.

I see no advantage to change settings. I prefer a big info box!

Cheers,

sweidre

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

CleanMem v.2.1.1 is available for downloading from Major Geeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html

If you go to the home page of Clean Mem, you can find more download sites:

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

The version 2.1.1 contains only minor bug fixes!

Cheers,

sweidre

• 2 months later...

Hi, CleanMem v.2.2.0 is availabe on PcWinTech.com™:

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

---- Quote--------

CleanMem By PcWinTech.com

Works on Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7 - 32bit & 64bit

v2.2.0

Added better support for the window positions of the program. On some users systems, if they had another program running that worked with program windows, it would cause CleanMem to save the window positions off screen, or if a user lowered their screen resolution and the old position would now be off screen. The program now checks the current screen resolution and brings the windows back on screen. I made sure this supports people with multiple monitors :-)

Fixed a few small bugs.

Added some control dll's to have CleanMem use instead of the ones on the users systems. On a few rare systems, if the users theme controls had the wrong or mismatched versions then CleanMem or their computer would crash. I have put the correct files with CleanMem and it will use those now instead. I am hoping this will fix the crash problems for those few people.

----Unquote--------

Cheers,

sweidre

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Version 2.3.1 is avaliable. Here's the change log from pcwintec.com. v2.3.1

New button control code, the old code for the buttons caused the program to crash on some machines.

Code tweaks and improvements. I downloaded the newest version from majorgeeks.com.

Thanks Ritchie for the info! I have now also from Major Geeks successfully downloaded & installed v.2.3.1! Cheers, sweidre

Archived